Thursday, September 18, 2014

A mistake and injury...

After my run yesterday I realized that according to the plan I wasn't supposed to run for 7 minutes, walk for 1, and then run for another 7.  What it says is 7 x 2 min E w/1 min W recoveries, which obviously means run for 2 minutes, walk for 1, and repeat that 7 times.  Oops.  Now that I figured it out I have no idea why I read it any other way.

Friday's run should be a 5 minute walk, then 6 x 1 min E w/30 sec W, followed by 8 x 30 sec E w/1 min W, finishing with a 4 min W.  Seems like a bit much to remember during a run.  I might try to figure out if that is something I can program into my watch or just bring a small piece of paper with it on it.

But...

Before leaving for work this morning I was walking quickly through my house and all of a sudden there was pain in my knee.  It felt like the things inside it had tightened up or shifted suddenly.  It wasn't pleasant, but it did not seem as bad as in the past.  Maybe it was the fact that I ran on concrete the day before or maybe running combined with the types of workouts I was doing at the gym were putting too much stress on my knee.

Whatever the case is, right now it seems like I should not go on my planned Friday run.  It is frustrating, but I don't want to have another long layoff.  I might have to even give it a break for a week or two just to make sure it is fine.  This time I will do better at strengthening the muscles that support the knee; quads, hips, and glutes according to this article: http://www.runnersworld.com/health/big-7-body-breakdowns?page=single

Depending on how I'm feeling tomorrow I might go for a bike ride, or try a stationary bike or elliptical machine at the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment