Wednesday, October 1, 2014

September Wrap-up, Changing Goals, and Button-ology

A bit of a multi-topic post this, so bear with me.

First a look back at September.  The modest total distance goal of 18km was passed, but only by 2km.  My other goal, which was to avoid injury, was not achieved because I tweaked my knee.  It meant an 8 day break from running, but I did manage to get a bike ride in there.  I would have liked to bike more, but it is a lot easier for me to go for a pre-lunch jog than bike to and from work.



I also finally figured out how to read the run plans in Jack Daniels' Running Formula book, so out of the 8 runs in September the last two were done correctly.  One run was also a 2km race.  On those last two runs I also started my tracking at the beginning of the 5 minute walk warm-up and stopped after the 5 minute walk cool down.  This kind of inflates the distance and the pace of the run.  Not sure yet if I'll keep doing it.

Looking at October, I think I'll set the goal at 24km.  Which brings me to my goal for 2014.   I ran my longest run, 14.57 km, in October 2013.  My total for 2013 was 462 km.  Considering I had only started up running again in March of that year, I didn't think it was unreasonable that I could beat that total.  So I had set myself the lofty goal of 600km in total as well as setting new PRs for 5k and 10, and running a half-marathon distance.

Clearly with a total of 123km and only three months to go trying to reach my previous goals would be asking to get injured again.  So I am changing my 2014 goals to a total of 210km and avoiding injury.

Speaking of avoiding injury, in an effort to reduce my impact on my knees I have been trying to avoid running on concrete.  Lately this has meant running on the gravel track around a sports field close to my work.  For a change of scenery, on Monday I ran on a paved trail along Barrington Street, but obviously this was not ideal.  Today I planned to return to the field, but there was some construction going on very close to it with a bunch of trucks parked right on the track.  So instead I decided to walk to the Halifax Common (aka the commons).



Unfortunately when I got there I discovered that the main paths were actually paved, which I had somehow forgotten.  Maybe because of this I got thrown off and when I started my first running interval I pressed stop on my watch instead of the lap button (DOH!).  I noticed after about 30 or 40 seconds and started the timer again.  There were some dirt paths that were ok, so I kind of just meandered on those.

Because the commons is more than a 5 minute walk from my work and I just started my timer once I got across the busy Gottingen Street the warm-up and cool-down walk portions were a bit longer.  In the middle it was 7 x 2 min with 1 min recoveries.

Anyway, in the end my knees feel ok.  We'll see how they are tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment